Monday, August 28, 2006

More Terrifying Sounds of the Nothing

Give yourself ten points if you caught the movie reference right off the bat.

So I'm trying to work through getting used to the sound of nothing, the absence of sound at all. I sat for 15 minutes last night. I can't say that I've progressed to actually *thinking* of nothing. This is actually very, very difficult to do. And every time that I've *ever* gotten to the point of thinking of nothing, I've congratulated myself for thinking of nothing, thereby banishing the moment of thinking of nothing.

To that end, I've ordered a few books to help myself think more on thinking of nothing. That, and I'm going to the Zen Bhuddism center on some undetermined Saturday in the near future to get some help in the art of thinking of nothing.

I'm also contemplating re-starting kendo. I've gone to the dojo here, and I remember being a little unimpressed by their kata practice, and a little put-off by how "traditional" their dojo was. However, I'm reconsidering the very strict adherence to traditional etiquette not because I think this type of dogmatism is unilaterally "good", but because I think I need some reinforcement in humility. Somewhere along the way of becoming exceedingly good at what I do, I've lost a large part of my ability to be humble, and recognize leadership and wisdom when they present themselves to me. I think kendo, in this type of environment, can help me to rediscover humility.

That, plus I plan on just swinging a shinai by myself for a good year. Rote movement will help me with my thinking of nothingness quest, as well as workout my body at the same time. Eventually, the screaming will help with my aggression, and maybe I can become a more peaceful, yet still ecstatically exuberant me.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't get ten points. Alas.

The quest for thinking nothing is great. I don't give myself enough quiet time, much less any thoughtless time.

Continue to talk about your progress. Maybe I'll try at some point.

Seppo said...

To what end do you wish to think of nothing? I mean, what purpose does *inactivity* serve? Why not try to achieve some measure of satisfaction through the thought of somethings?

miniboss said...

The inactivity is calming, for the most part, and I need that calming factor in my life, as I feel a little manic lately. Yes, yes, I know I *am* manic, generally. Still, I *need* to learn how to be less manic, mostly for work. I won't make it any farther unless I calm myself down at the office.

That being said, all of the other techniques that I've tried to use to achieve this have been, for the most part, useless. I've exhausted my other options, and I'm giving this one a try for now. And at the risk of sounding so typically new age, I think there's something to be said about the "grounding" aspect of meditation.

barry said...

No points for me, either.

No silence as well, cause your boomerang Lucksmiths obsessions fills my ears.

The city lights and the stayaway stars...

miniboss said...

So you all made me think I was crazy. But then I Googled, and I found it. Granted, it's totally obscure:

The Nothing is coming. Go google that. :D

Andre Alforque said...

Okay, when you put it that way, I don't have to Google it. Grr, I knew it sounded familiar, too!!!

miniboss said...

Maybe I should have titled it thusly:
"More terrifying Sounds of The Nothing