Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Lucksmiths

I might have mentioned once or thrice that my new favorite band is The Lucksmiths. A delightful boy trio from Australia - I've recently gotten their Naturaliste album. It's not new. But then again, I generally don't get albums until years later. It's just because I'm not hip, and I need to be spoon fed music by other people.

My best friend gave me The Lucksmiths when I was visiting him in the Spring. I just never got around to listening to it. Every album I ever buy (or receive) gets three FULL listens. Start to finish, three times, before it either goes into heavy rotation, or dies a melancholy and lonely death on my CD rack.

The Lucksmiths took ONE listen. I listened to the first track of that record 50 times in seven days. At least, that's what my iPod told me. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but it's a *great* song.

And interestingly, the drummer is the singer. He's got a slightly sad voice, and a teeny lilt of an accent. And he's cute. They are so clever with their songwriting. And while I generally cringe from the "twee" moniker that they've been given in some circles, I can say that the overall feeling is indeed quite twee. They're masterful at all of their instruments, and the production quality is stellar.

I haven't listened to anything as good since The Mayflies, USA. And I have to admit that I like The Lucksmits better. I leave you with a bit of What You'll Miss.

In the morning it felt like the world had stopped
And clenched like a giant fist up tight
But then you noticed the dust still dropped
And danced through the bedroom windowlight

It's the woodsmoke smell of winter
It's the sad things that you'll miss
It's the woodsmoke smell of winter
And the sad things like this
Let it all come down like fog on a cold field
Let it all come down like frost on a lawn
Let it all come down like leaves in a teacup
Let it all come down like trees in a storm



1 comment:

eingy said...

Ah, this is the random song you quoted to me the other day.