Friday, August 25, 2006

The Terrifying Sound of Silence

I've decided that I'm totally terrified of silence. I spent a lot of last night, thinking about the amount of time I spend occupying my brain, to stop it from thinking too much. I spend nearly every waking minute doing something. I'm either listening t music, playing music, reading, watching tv. I don't ever sit. And be still.


So last night, I tried being still. I stayed still for 15 minutes. And it was hard. I was like a kid who couldn't sit still in class. Either that, or I was really afraid of the dark.

EDIT
Yah, so additionally, I'm going to give up music and instant messaging at work next week. We'll see how long it lasts.

4 comments:

Andre Alforque said...

I only do IM on my SideKick now. So, it is more difficult to get, and more obvious if I am "fooling" around.

I have been without music, but that's because the headphones will mess up my hair. LOL! I think it's driving me crazy. I find myself more irratable now-a-days. I think I will reconnect the desktop speakers and play the music as low as I can.

Unknown said...

I can't listen to music while I work; it's too distracting. I end up focusing on the music more than the work. :/

A_B said...

I go back and forth, some would say oscillate (I would too if I didn't have to look up how to spell it), between music and no music at work.

These days, I almost always have it going at low volume. But sometimes, I just like it silent.

As for the general idea of being still ... egad. The idea of it is scary. The fact that I find it scary is also scary. I don't know when I lost the ability to just not have things keeping my mind busy so I could focus on something.

eingy said...

That's just the coffee talking, a_b. :D

I have no problems sitting still for 15 minutes, but I need to be reading or something. It doesn't have to be challenging material, but I think I'd start to get kinda antsy about NOT reading if I have the time.

I can try this later in the afternoon and see if I can achieve it without falling asleep.