Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Long - Lost, Now - Found

I've found it. This weekend, I spent some time at the music store. I went down there to find a couple of things - 1) a practice amp for my cute electric Ovation - it's great - black and gold, a little flashy for me, but still, it's great - three pickups, great action, 2) some digital recording equipment, and 3) some drums.

The drums are always hard for me. I've been looking for a *very* specific kit now for about four years. I remember when I used to play out in college that I had a crappy kit that was too big. I hated carrying it. I hated carrying it more at 2:30a, after I'd been drinking for 7 hours. I hated it carrying it even more when I had to lug it up the goddamn steps to the attic *after* I brought it back from the bar.

This new kit is *exactly* what I was looking for. It's funny - I tend to hate going into the following establishments: videogame shops, computer stores, and music stores - all for the same reason. They always try to sell me shit I don't want, and don't need. This trip to the store was no different, except that I cut the guy off at the pass.

I told him that in the 50's and 60's, Gretsch made a vintage jazz kit, very small, that had remarkable sound. They made them in a range of "sparkle" colors, and they had a single rack tom, and a floor, with a matching snare. He gasped, and told me that he could show me *exactly* what I wanted.

And lo and behold, he did.



This kit is everything I've ever wanted. Maple shells - although I'd love for mine to be candy apple red, or some other color that is not white sparkle, or white speckle. I haven't actually *heard* what these sound like, though - so maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

I can't decide what to do about it, though. If I buy it, I really have a) nowhere to put it, b) no time to play it, c) nobody to play with. If I don't buy it, I'll just keep thinking about it. But having it, and not being able to play will be absolute torture. TORTURE.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Damned if ya do...

eingy said...

You've been looking for this for years. You should get it.