Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Bad Day at Work: Installment #1

Yesterday was my first *truly* bad day at work. It started out well enough, was interrupted by an appointment at the doc, and then got *really* bad. One of the teams that I work with frequently has a tendency to ask our group for things on *really* short notice (like, can we have x right now), which disrupts a) our current work in progress and b) our release schedule. They pulled one of these yesterday, but based on feedback from myself and another one of the other teammates in my department, we asked for an executive call from our boss.

Our boss told us to hold off until he could talk to the manager of the group (left him a voicemail on his phone) and then went to a meeting. About 15 minutes later, the manager of the group came into our office and declared something along the lines of: "I don't care what said, I want this out now. I don't want to talk about it anymore with anyone. Just do it." And then he left.

1. This guy has no authority *whatsoever* to issue this type of dictate to the people in our group
2. I've had run-ins with this guy previously, but have *really* been accommodating, polite, and respectful to him
3. Who the fuck does he think he is?

As a compromise between us and the product manager for this group (who I have a good working relationship with), I put the changes up in our staging environment so their QA could start testing while we waited for the big dogs to fight it out. Needless to say, I was pretty pissed.

When my boss got back, I spoke to him (quietly), related what had happened, and told him that if that pompous motherfucker ever talked to me like that again, I would punch him in the fucking mouth. Then I packed up my stuff and went home.

I turned off my phone, killed my email, and had a blissful entire night of non-work. I realized, on the drive home, that I probably should have censored myself a bit before talking to my boss, but I'm pretty sure I hit the point home.

This morning, an apology email was in my inbox. Wonder of wonders. Don't let me wax poetic about *most* graduates of a certain university that seems to pump assholes like this every goddamn day. I swear, they have a required course study for all graduates in Asshole.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Best. Post. Ever!