Thursday, January 22, 2009

Ode to Small Factory

I've recently resurrected an old iTunes library off of a couple of dead PCs whose hard-drives were still in perfect shape.  The result, a heap of old music that I haven't been able to listen to in a long time.  I have a bad habit of taking CDs into a car, and then losing them from there.  A lot of music that I've collected over the years has been completely lost.  My Motown box set among them.

Back to the point.

When I was in college, one of my favorite bands (thanks to Barrelled) was Small Factory, a small Providence trio.  Their drummer was a cute, CUTE (rocking) chick named Phoebe Summersquash.  Seriously.  Dave Auchenbach on bass, and Alex Kemp on guitar.  This band convinced me that I liked the mix of male and female vocals that were lacking in so many of this era's indie/twee bands (see Tiger Trap, Tuscadero, etc.).    Another major difference was that the kids in Small Factory could actually play.  Like, really play.  In that era, a lot of indie bands couldn't, and while it lent a lot of credence to the "cuteness" factor of the band, there was a depth of musical integrity that was lacking, for me.

Today, I couldn't tell you which of the albums came out first, but I have three in my collection:
I Do Not Love You (1993)
For If You Cannot Fly (1994)
The Industrial Evolution (1996) - a compilations of singles and b-sides

All three were in extremely heavy rotation.  The production values are great, for an three-piece indie band in the early 90s.  Hell, the production values are great, no disclaimers.  I mean, they aren't Phil Spector levels, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Who can deny the strange pathos in Sensible (For If You Cannot Fly) - /It's getting harder to be sensible/it's getting harder to keep it straight/and all your friend wound up bitter and cynical/and you just say that's great.  Phoebe's layered vocal track(s) in the end are fantastic, and her unassuming, yet un-irritating harmonies offset the deep tenor of Alex's voice here, and the outcome is simply spectacular.  Even the simple 2-measure guitar solo adds a level of melancholy.  Every note, every track, every pause adds to this song.  Chalk this up as one of my all-time Small Factory favorites.

How about Bright Side (For If You Cannot Fly) - a love song to that particular kind of friend that everyone has, or wants to have.  I'm lucky - I have one (more than one, actually).  At the point in my life when I was listening to this, the one in particular helped me home on my 21st birthday, made sure I didn't die, and helped me dial my girlfriend.  What more could I ask for?  (If you start to cry/I'll be the one who'll wipe those tears from your eyes)

And the cover of Valentine (I Do Not Love You)?  You can't *not* fall in love with Phoebe on this one.  Period.  If you can resist, you probably eat babies.

Let's not forget If You Hurt Me (The Industrial Evolution).  Devolves into some awesome noise at the end.  /If you hurt me/I'll be angry and I'll grow up way too fast/And if you break my heart/I'll smash up your car/.  Miniboss does *not* condone violence, but I'll admit that I've felt like this with one of my breakups.  Not particularly because they broke my heart, but because they were assholes.

Small Factory disbanded after the release (or maybe even before) of The Industrial Evolution.  Alex and Phoebe started a new band called The Godrays - and while they were great, I missed the third that wasn't replaced.  Sadly, The Godrays also broke up a few short years later.

No comments: