Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Piss away the ______

I am at the point where I need to just take a step back and relax. I'm doing some software development consulting in LA, and have been down here, basically, 2 weeks/month since February. Right now, I'm doing phone screens for potential QA candidates, writing test cases, and giving advice on best practices in software development.

To date, I've written 50+ test cases of varying lengths for their regressive test cycles.

A couple of problems (which I've pointed out to my clients):
1) They only have one QA person here
2) he can't run these cases because he's too swamped with testing new features
3) their dev cycles are too long
4) they push too many hotfixes for the qa guy to work on projects other than upcoming releases

I'm writing very, VERY detailed test cases. Detailed enough that they could, theoretically, outsource the execution of these cases, or even offshore them.

I finished about 70% of the cases that are currently available *last* time I was here, almost 4 weeks ago. They haven't run a SINGLE one of them. I would actually bet money on the face that no one in this entire organization has even *read* them. I would further bet that nobody's read more than 5% of what's currently there.

Why do they keep paying me to do this? Does it make them feel better about "beefing up" their QA organization?

1 comment:

Andre Alforque said...

My company did the same thing on a couple projects; it's to the point that they've pretty much left QA to the developers writing the code. How that makes any sense, I have no clue. :(