Friday, August 17, 2007

The Wayward Bus

I don't like the Magnetic Fields a lot. But I LOVE their first album - The Wayward Bus. There's a girl singer on it. I'm not a big fan of this kind of girl singer, but for some reason, I really like this album.

I contend that 100,000 Fireflies is probably one of the most beautiful songs ever written. (I swear, I say that a lot about songs, but really, it is)...

I went out to the forest and caught 100,000 fireflies
As they ricochet round my room
They remind me of your starry eyes
Someone else's might not have made me so sad
But this is the worst night I ever had

'Cause I'm afraid of the dark without you close to me
I'm afraid of the dark without you close to me
Always was...

You won't be happy with me
But give me one more chance
You won't be happy anyway


You have to admit that it's a beautiful song. I try not to listen to it that often, as it fell prey to my stupid obsessive listening, was in heavy rotation for about 2 months, and then dropped of. But every time I hear it, I'm blown away. It's one of the simplest songs I've ever heard. Electric piano, very simple electric drumbeat, and girl singing.

Can't you just see her? In my mind, she's beautiful, she has pale skin and red hair - and not prone to emotional outbursts. I can see her unhappiness - she wears it like a shroud, and she's just as confused as you or I. She wants a little bit of rest, and would like, for once, for her life to be simple.

No comments: