Monday, July 09, 2007

Brian Wilson Is A God

I spent three hours yesterday upstairs in my living room, on the floor, in a meditative cross-legged sitting position, with my head in my hands, eyes mostly closed, listening to:

Don't Let Me Down
Here Comes the Sun
Hello, Goodbye
Let It Be

And...

Pet Sounds (twice, once in mono, and once in stereo)

I realized then that I take it back, what I've said about Ringo Starr. He wasn't just in the right place at the right time, but he is a great drummer, period. Let It Be has the best guitar solo that I've ever heard, and I know I've said it before, but this time, it was an ethereal experience that I can't quite sum up in words. I think there is something so great about all of those instruments together, building into a fantastic finale of crashing awesomeness (and Barrelled, the bass slides are spectacular, aren't they, at the end?).

Don't Let Me Down, I think, really hit me rather hard (although a little less so than Let It Be, for obvious reasons). I know I've said it a million times - a great pop song should never be much longer than 3 minutes, but I really wish this one had gone on forever.

Moving on to Pet Sounds...

I felt such deep pathos for Brian Wilson, and I realize that I've been wrong in my focus on *certain* songs on Pet Sounds, rather than listening to the album in its entirety, which is an opera unto itself, a novel of Brian Wilson, and an autobiography of his brain, or even better, his soul. I realized that most humans communicate through talking, and that Brian's interface with the world was fundamentally broken. I could picture him struggling, all of that time, trying to communicate with the rest of us mere mortals, in a way that was alternately, superbly innocent, yet undeniably complex and mature.

(And recorded on nothing more than 3, 4 and 8-track?!?!?! HOLY CRAP!!@!@#)

I may be wrong in saying that Brian Wilson is a god, but he is certainly a prophet, and I haven't begun to process the post-excursion euphoria into real words, but I feel awash in something so beautiful and wonderful that I can barely contain myself (as I sit at the desk of the job that I despise, which even *that* can't bring me down today). In the liner notes of the re-release of Pet Sounds, Brian Wilson says that he felt like he had a halo over his head while he was recording the album. I believe him.

I had a picture of him, in an alternate universe, picking all of these wondrous sounds off a tree, ripe, and bursting with all this musical goodness. I could see him, contemplating taking that long trip down that ladder, back to earth, to give it to us, not in a condescending way, but in a compassionate gifting.

All I can say to that is (and I'm sure it's been said before, by people way more profound than me):

Thank you, Brian Wilson. God only knows what I'd do without you.

3 comments:

barry said...

mb: please tell me you know the sequel: The Soft Bulletin by the Flaming Lips. And this.
Run out and buy it.

barry said...

MB: have you heard Brian's 2004 version of sMile? Just listened to it and it is essential. Amazing.

miniboss said...

ettett - No. I remember talking to you about the Flaming Lips, and I think you told me that most of their stuff would be a little to psychedlic-ish for me, but that may have been only for Yoshimi Battles Pink Robots. So no, to both.

Brian Wilson's 2004 version of Smile? No, as well. Will put it on my list of things to get, though...